Parents and/or students can learn what Malware is and how to get rid of it…
What is malware?
Malware, short for malicious software, is software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content (like images or advertisements), and even other software. In short, it is a type of virus.
How do I get rid of Malware?
If you believe that your computer has been infected with malware, please don’t worry. No matter how careful you are we can’t always prevent these types of viruses. That's because malware is designed to sneak onto your computer in ways you can't possibly foresee. Here are a few tips from the FLVS help desk:
- Update your operating system… Use Windows Update.
- Update your browser… No matter which browser you use, keeping it current is vital to preventing infection. Take advantage of your browser's pop-up blocking, download screening, and automatic update features.
- Install antivirus software… You must run an antivirus program to be safe. Keep it updated, turned on, and schedule a scan to run at least once a month. However, do not run two antivirus programs - they will interfere with one another.
- Install anti-malware software… Also called anti-spyware, many antivirus applications include an anti-malware component and keep it updated.
- Use a firewall: If you aren't running a third-party firewall, you can Windows Firewall. Do not run two firewalls at once - they will interfere with one another.
- Use a spam filter: If your e-mail program is not adequately filtering spam from your in-box, consider additional spam filtering software.